You are not logged in.

#1 October 5, 2012 1:49am

Moloch
Arkanix Labs
Website

Should CT have joystick controls?

Some talk lately about what options should be available for the eventually joystick control. Originally my idea was simply movement and button for toggling walk/run but it looks like the feedback wants more control via joystick if possible.

Besides movement, some of the ideas include searching by joystick, opening doors, long button press and a pop-up menu of options, various commands used by pressing button and pushing in one of the four directions.

If you've got some ideas/feedback, post away here and we'll see what options can be included in the game.

#2 October 5, 2012 2:38am

redback
Arkanix Labs
Website

Re: Should CT have joystick controls?

Moloch wrote:

Feedback wants more control via joystick

I agree

Moloch wrote:

Searching by joystick, opening doors, long button press and a pop-up menu of options, various commands used by pressing button and pushing in one of the four directions.

However I'd save holding-FIRE for the most frequently used command (ie: searching or opening doors) as running should done with an easy to remember key like <CTRL> or even <SHIFT-LOCK> - just throwing ideas out there.

If possible using the hold-FIRE button to interact with any object the character is facing to both search or open may be an option. Except that would take the fun out of this keyboard orrientated game. For which I would recommend that the <C=> be used to pop-up a display with the basic keyboard commands.

Personally I'd would like the c64 cursor keys to do movement as well (by default) as many C64 users are used to holding <SHIFT>+<CSR-UP/DOWN> - which I believe are mapped to respective up and down arrows in emulators.

Last edited by redback (October 5, 2012 2:55am)

#3 October 5, 2012 11:47am

aNdy
Arkanix Labs
Website

Direction and button press to activate search/open doos etc - like the game "Impossible Mission"

Two quick button taps to change walk/run - in the game "Citadel", two quick taps activates a 'grab' cursor, so a similar implementation to that.

Stand still and long button press to activate menu.

#4 October 6, 2012 9:35am

Carcass
Arkanix Labs
Website

I like the idea of SHIFT LOCK for run/walk.

I'd say make the joystick work like this...

Single click = Popup Action menu... in which, just click does the "intuitive thing" like open a door if you're infront of a door or search if you're facing something searchable etc... and other actions are assigned to up, down, left, right, as Moloch suggested. So like search might be click, click. click + up might be inventory. etc...

#5 April 24, 2013 1:07am

redback
Arkanix Labs
Website

Why not 128 keys in 64 mode?
Yes! I'm a Commodore 128/D tragic and I even remember typing in those BASIC lines from RUN magazine issue - May 1987 (on page 15) as a kid.

It would be cool, using the 128 arrow keys or the numpad as a movement option in CT tongue

#6 April 24, 2013 2:22am

Moloch
Arkanix Labs
Website

Certainly something we'll look into, seems simple enough looking at it with my tired eyes.

For joystick I'm leaning toward movement (push direction) and button + direction would be search, open, etc. So a total of nine options via joystick and the rest will be keyboard.

#7 December 14, 2015 9:46am

Keighn
AL User
MacintoshSafari 8536.25

Yeah that sounds great.  I recall the old questrons, LOA, LOBS and to perform an action hitting the button then selecting from the menu.  Sure it worked.  The benefit was you generally had all the commands at your finger grips instead of relying on a command keyboard summary card.  Generally, you'd memorize it eventually (think ultima series)

Did I see a taste of pools of radiance border around the screen?

#8 December 15, 2015 1:54am

Moloch
Arkanix Labs
Website
Windows 7Chrome 47.0.2526.80

Keighn wrote:

Yeah that sounds great.  I recall the old questrons, LOA, LOBS and to perform an action hitting the button then selecting from the menu.  Sure it worked.  The benefit was you generally had all the commands at your finger grips instead of relying on a command keyboard summary card.  Generally, you'd memorize it eventually (think ultima series)

Yeah, we'll have some sort of joystick controls in. Most likely not as encompassing as Questron/LOA/LOB but will cover the most commonly used commands like movement and searching.

Keighn wrote:

Did I see a taste of pools of radiance border around the screen?

The "border rope" as we call it internally has inspiration in lots of older CRPGs really. None of the screenshots show the current version of the screen graphics, maybe we'll include them in the next preview?

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] claudebot

Board footer