You are not logged in.
Cartograph is a native Commodore 64 application created for designing tile-based maps/levels. This versatile tool allows you to create maps and levels for your games, matrices and data for demos and tools and much more.
It works by importing a standard 2 kilobyte character set created with the user's favorite editor, and allows the user to create a level as small as 40x25 (1x C64 screen) all the way up to 256x128. It supports both hires and multicolor 8x8 pixel tiles.
This application was created as an internal devtool for Arkanix Labs. We're using Cartograph extensively with our Crimson Twilight Trilogy (tile-based CRPG) and Damned: Out Of Hell (side scroller) projects.
Cartograph V1.4+ includes file format compatibility with our new CartographPC devtool, fully documented sample scroller source, and some bug fixes.
Cartograph V1.1 Changelog:
[October 24, 2009]
- New: converter tool is now built directly into editor (export feature) and will convert a map from 256x128 (Cartograph standard) to whichever size is specified in the preset menu.
- New: centering feature to jump to the very middle of the map in editing mode.
- New: updated menu screen to include the above converter.
- Fixed: startup bug where the map size is different than what is specified in the preset menu.
- Fixed: color touchups to the filename requestor box in the menu.
Cartograph V1.2 Changelog:
[December 4, 2009]
- New: datatypes support has been built in.
- New: press spacebar to print a space on the screen.
- New: top window changes color depending on which editing mode you are in. Gray = regular edit, blue = data edit.
- Fixed: the z-bug is fixed, we can now load files with z in the file name.
- Fixed: menu has been updated to American only spelling and the version # is now located in the bottom right corner (web site removed)
- Fixed: 40x25 screenshot save was not saving the very last byte, now it is.
- Fixed: project loader used to abort if an error was found (ie file not found). It now continues through and still tries to load all remaining project files.
- Fixed: when editing in multicolor mode and then going into menu, some text would appear in multicolor instead of hires.
Cartograph V1.3 Changelog:
[January 31, 2010]
- New: REU support to create a "backup" and "undo" feature.
- New: REU "autobackup" implemented, includes on/off toggle.
- New: Dual mode export... convert or convert and compress with RLE.
- New: 7 fill modes. 1x1, 1x2, 2x1 and 2x2 random/pattern fills.
- New: Sample NES Zelda 2 clone level included on disk.
- Updated: Increase to fifteen datatypes instead of nine.
- Fixed: flood fill fix now fills all the way to the left.
- Fixed: preview maps while in datatype mode sometimes reverted to normal color table.
- Fixed: font pointer saved in data file, font will automatically change when data file or project is loaded.
- Fixed: "converted file is only 1 block" bug fixed.
Cartograph V1.4 Changelog:
[March 14, 2010]
- New: Support for CartographPC filetypes.
- New: Sample source code to display full screen map.
- New: Save character set as part of project file if a custom one is in use.
- Fixed: Color table was saving 4 extra bytes, these have been trimmed off.
[ Generated in 0.039 seconds, 10 queries executed - Memory usage: 3.13 MiB (Peak: 3.28 MiB) ]