You are not logged in.

#1 March 20, 2010 9:42pm

Moloch
Arkanix Labs
Website

Narkare town preview

Todays update includes a 50% screenshot of one of your towns, Narkare.

Town: Narkare (144x128 - landlocked)

Narkare is in the northwestern part of Murkasada and is the middle ground for the trade lines between the north and south coasts.

Lying between the towns of Serdosia to the north and Ellowira to the south, Narkare is a stopping point for trade caravans and travelers a like. A few days travel to the north one can find the old religion temple Umdosia and the Bethict Lighthouse on the coastline.

Rumors abound about a crypt, the end place of the dark wizard Rakoch, within a few days travel distance of Narkare. Only the foolish dare to find such a place and those fools certainly never leave the crypt once found.

Merchants: healer, alchemist, blacksmith/weaponsmith, inn/tavern, bank

Narkare

#2 March 21, 2010 9:49am

Pinacolada
AL User

Re: Narkare town preview

Moloch wrote:

Todays update includes a 50% screenshot of one of your towns, Narkare.

That is a very cool map! I'm still getting the hang of Cartograph PC. Not that there's anything wrong with the native C= version of Cartograph. I just like the bigger area that's available to scroll around in, I guess.

*listens to Ultima music just 'cause* smile

#3 March 21, 2010 4:18pm

adamantyr
AL User

Very nice!

Wow, that is a big map... If each tile uses a byte for storage, that map is around 18k uncompressed.

Are you using compression? RLE will get you some reduction, although it tends to break down when maps have a lot of distinct tiles. Is the entire map stored in memory while in town, or do you load sections at a time?

Adamantyr

#4 March 21, 2010 4:53pm

Pinacolada
AL User

adamantyr wrote:

Is the entire map stored in memory while in town, or do you load sections at a time?

I was wondering that too. Although I know the C64 version of Cartograph can optionally save RLE-compressed maps...

#5 March 21, 2010 7:47pm

Moloch
Arkanix Labs
Website

adamantyr wrote:

Very nice!

Wow, that is a big map... If each tile uses a byte for storage, that map is around 18k uncompressed.

Are you using compression? RLE will get you some reduction, although it tends to break down when maps have a lot of distinct tiles. Is the entire map stored in memory while in town, or do you load sections at a time?

That map is the largest size we'll support in the game - 144x128 characters. All wilderness areas are 128x128 chunks of the large world map. Plenty of smaller towns/villages that are 75x75, so it's not totally overwhelming.

At the moment we're not using compression, but the end product will use RLE compression. The entire map is loaded into memory. Haven't really figured much into transitions for wilderness, but have a few ideas churning.

Great to see you Adamantyr!

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] CCBot

Board footer