You are not logged in.

#1 September 17, 2010 11:03am

Moloch
Arkanix Labs
Website

ECCC 2010 preview screenshots

This weekend is ECCC 2010 and Fuzz and Warlock from our crew are there having a good time. They're also demonstrating some of our projects, including a bit of Crimson Twilight. Here are a few screenshots from the preview available:

eccc2010-jolak1.png
Hmm, is there something behind this bookcase?

eccc2010-jolak2.png
Nobody in the alchemist shop, where is everyone?

eccc2010-jolak3.png
Yep, everything on my character sheet looks fine.

eccc2010-jolakunder1.png
Uh oh, maybe I shouldn't have went down the ladder behind the bookcase?

eccc2010-jolakunder2.png
Who is entombed here? It is a bit warm here, maybe that lava river is the cause?

Originally we wanted to release our next preview at ECCC 2010, but the deadline came and passed without a release candidate. We do plan to release Beta08 within the next few weeks, probably in the first week of October.

#2 September 20, 2010 2:13pm

adamantyr
AL User

Re: ECCC 2010 preview screenshots

Looking good! Is it a single player game, or a party-based game? I imagine you'd probably still have just the "leader" on screen with a party; it's not worth burning the sprites to have a train of them.

Nice to see someone else is sick and tired of "gold" as the common currency in CRPG's. Gold is RARE! A small sack of gold coins was, literally, a king's ransom in the Middle Ages!

I noticed that when your stat screen was up, the background went "gray". A very nice effect! On the TI, I could do something like it, but it's not really worth the hassle... I'd have to blast out about 2 kilobytes of color data, and then restore the colors from disk afterward. Not really worth it.

Adamantyr

#3 September 23, 2010 8:39pm

Moloch
Arkanix Labs
Website

Re: ECCC 2010 preview screenshots

adamantyr wrote:

Looking good! Is it a single player game, or a party-based game? I imagine you'd probably still have just the "leader" on screen with a party; it's not worth burning the sprites to have a train of them.

Single character game. My favorite CRPGs (Questron series, Legacy of the Ancients, Legend of Blacksilver) played the same and the style stuck with me.

adamantyr wrote:

Nice to see someone else is sick and tired of "gold" as the common currency in CRPG's. Gold is RARE! A small sack of gold coins was, literally, a king's ransom in the Middle Ages!

Yes, gold shouldn't be as common in RPGs. I didn't go overboard with the idea and create "steel pieces" (Dragonlance) or some other overly common metal, just trying to tone down the use of gold so a treasure handed out as "golden chalice" actually is something more than "another 200gp".

adamantyr wrote:

I noticed that when your stat screen was up, the background went "gray". A very nice effect! On the TI, I could do something like it, but it's not really worth the hassle... I'd have to blast out about 2 kilobytes of color data, and then restore the colors from disk afterward. Not really worth it.

Yep, using some memory for this. Had to setup a buffer area in memory, quite expensive on it's own. So I've multi-purposed the area to include code modules (combat, merchant, etc.) which aren't always needed in memory. The disk load times for a few blocks of code shouldn't be noticable.

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] CCBot

Board footer